FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 6/25/2015
Cooling shelters locations announced ahead of heat wave
SEATTLE - The National Weather Service has issued an Excessive Heat Watch for Seattle and surrounding areas from Friday afternoon through late Saturday night. The City of Seattle is providing information and public spaces that may be used by residents to stay cool in the high temperatures.
- Drink plenty of water. Have a beverage with you at all times, and sip or drink frequently. Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, alcohol and large amounts of sugar because they can actually de-hydrate your body.
Protect your pets
Pets are especially vulnerable in high heat and the Seattle Animal Shelter recommends the following:
- Never leave your animal chained or penned up directly in sunlight. Provide a shady area for retreat, such as a dog house, porch or shady tree, and always provide cool water.
- If you leave animals indoors, open screened windows, keep a fan running, provide plenty of water, and if possible, leave them in a cool location.
- Never leave dogs or cats unattended in a closed, locked car. Animals do not perspire like humans; they cool themselves by panting and seats in vehicles get hot under animals’ feet and prevent them from perspiring through their paws.
- If you must travel with your pet, carry water. If a trip requires you leave your pet in the car at any point, think about saving that for another day. It’s not worth the risk.
- Avoid overexerting your animal in hot weather. Exercise is fine when taken in moderation, but obesity, old age, underlying disease and previous bouts of heat stroke can predispose an animal to the condition.
- For birds, take caution and place the bird’s cage away from direct sunlight during the intense heat of the afternoon. Provide water and fruits and vegetables with high moisture content.
The following Seattle Public Library locations are equipped with air conditioning, and serve as cooling centers when the area experiences extreme heat. Please call the individual location before you go for open hours and to verify that the air conditioning is working.
- Central Library (1000 4th Ave) - 206-386-4636
- Ballard (5614 22nd Ave NW) - 206-684-4089
- Beacon Hill (2821 Beacon Ave S) - 206-684-4711
- Broadview (12755 Greenwood Ave N) - 206-684-7519
- Capitol Hill (425 Harvard Ave E) - 206-684-4715
- Delridge (5423 Delridge Way SW) - 206-733-9125
- Douglass-Truth (2300 E Yesler Way) - 206-684-4704
- Greenwood (8016 Greenwood Ave N) - 206-684-4086
- High Point (3411 SW Raymond St) - 206-684-7454
- International District / Chinatown (713 8th Ave S) - 206-386-1300
- Lake City (12501 28th Ave NE) - 206-684-7518
- Madrona-Sally Goldmark (1134 33rd Ave) - 206-684-4705
- Magnolia (2801 34th Ave W) - 206-386-4225
- NewHolly (7058 32nd Ave S) - 206-386-1905
- Northgate (10548 5th Ave NE) - 206-386-1980
- Rainier Beach (9125 Rainier Ave S) - 206-386-1906
- South Park (8604 8th Ave S) - 206-615-1688
- Wallingford (1501 N 45th St) - 206-684-4088
Seattle Center (View the campus map PDF at http://www.seattlecenter.com/downloads/sc_map_color_gates.pdf) – 206-684-7200
- Seattle Center Armory (Open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- International Fountain
- Fountain of Creation (Dupen Fountain)
The following senior centers have air conditioning or are relatively cool and are open to the public:
- Greenwood Senior Center (525 N. 8th Street)
- International Drop-In Center (7301 Beacon Ave S.)
- Pike Market Senior Center and Food Bank (85 Pike St, #200)
- Ballard NW Senior Center (5429 32nd Ave NW)
- Southeast Seattle Senior Center (4655 South Holly St)
- The Senior Center of West Seattle (4217 SW Oregon St)
- South Park Senior Center (8201 10th Ave S)
- Wallingford Community Senior Center (4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Suite 140)
- The Central (500 30th Ave S)
- Asian Counseling and Referral Service Senior Center (3639 Martin Luther King Way S.)
- Sunshine Garden Chinese Senior Community Center (611 S. Lane St.) housed in the Chinese Information and Service Center.
Pools and Water Areas
Four-day-a-week Wading Pools (both are open noon to 6:45 p.m.):
- Hiawatha Community Center, 2700 California Ave. SW, Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat
- Delridge Community Center, 4501 Delridge Way SW, Mon/Tues/Sat/Sun
Three-day-a-week Wading Pools (all are open from noon to 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted):
- Bitter Lake, 13035 Linden Ave. N, Wed/Thu/Fri
- Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Ave., noon to 6:45 p.m., Fri/Sat/Sun
- Dahl Playfield, 7700 25th Ave. NE, Tues/Wed/Thurs
- East Queen Anne, 160 Howe St., Sun/Mon/Tue
- E.C. Hughes, 2805 SW Holden St., Wed/Thu/Fri
- Soundview, 1590 NW 90th St., Sat/Sun/Mon
- South Park, 8319 8th Ave. S, Mon/Tue/Wed
- Wallingford, 4219Wallingford Ave. N, Wed/Thu/Fri
Daily Wading Pools (all are open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted):
- Green Lake, N 73rd and E Green Lake Dr. N
- Lincoln Park, 8600 Fauntleroy Ave. SW
- Magnuson, eastern end of NE 65th St., noon to 6:30 p.m.
- Van Asselt, 2820 S Myrtle St.
- Volunteer Park, 1400 E Galer St.
Daily Water Spray Parks (all are open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted):
- Ballard Commons, 5701 22nd Ave. NW
- Beacon Mountain at Jefferson Park, 3901 Beacon Ave. S
- John C. Little, 6961 37th Ave. S
- Lower Judkins, 2150 S Norman St.
- Georgetown Playfield, 750 S Homer St.
- Highland Park, 1100 SW Cloverdale
- Lake Union Park, 860 Terry Ave. N
- Miller Community Center, 330 19th Ave. E
- Northacres Park, 12800 1st Ave. NE
- Pratt Park, 1800 S Main St.
Lifeguarded Beaches (noon to 7 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays)
- Matthews, 9300 51st Ave. NE
- Madison, 1900 43rd Ave. E
- Mt. Baker, 2301 Lake Washington Blvd. S
- Seward, 5902 Lake Washington Blvd. S
- West Green Lake, 7312 W Green Lake Dr.
- East Green Lake, 7201 E Green Lake Dr. N
- Magnuson, park entrance at NE 65th and Sand Point Way NE
- Madrona, 853 Lake Washington Blvd.
- Pritchard Beach, 8400 55th Ave. S
- “Pop” Mounger Pool, 2535 32nd Ave. W, daily, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., call 206-684-4708 for public swim times
- Colman Pool, 8603 Fauntleroy Way SW, daily, noon to 7 p.m., call 206-684-7494 for public swim times
Additional resources[View City of Seattle News Release] Read more »